A debit card? It is not the same as a credit card. For starters, your credit card is distinguished by its relief printing. It also differs from that of a debit card. We have summarized the differences for you.
The unique features of your credit card
- Your expenses are not debited from your account directly.
- Either you pay the full amount of your purchases at once every month.
- Either you spread this amount over several months.
- You can withdraw money and pay anywhere in the world. Most banks block their use in the United States. Learn how to activate your credit card for the United States.
- Withdrawing money with your credit card costs money. Including in Belgium.
Only large withdrawals outside Europe are cheaper than with your debit card.
- You agree with your bank on the limit of your monthly expenses.
This monthly limit depends on your financial means.
- Depending on the credit card you choose, you get additional benefits and are insured for free. For example, you are covered against damage and theft of your purchases, or benefit from trip cancellation insurance.
Debit or credit?
Advice for use abroad: credit card companies also issue payment cards – debit cards. But since there are also Visa and Mastercard debit cards, some countries (like the United States) may ask you the question “Debit or credit?” when you pay with your credit card. In reality, they want to know if you are paying with a credit card or with a debit card. Always answer “credit”.
Credit Card Comparison Credit Card Comparison Compare our credit cards and choose the one that works best for you.
The unique features of your debit card
- Your expenses are debited from your account directly.
- Your card is linked to one of your current accounts.
- By default, you can only pay and withdraw money in Europe.
Look for the Bancontact or Maestro logo.
Do you want to be able to pay anywhere in the world? Find out how.
- Withdrawing money from a ATM is cheaper, in Belgium and in the rest of Europe, with a debit card than with a credit card. We also recommend that you use your debit card for small withdrawals in other countries.
- You can personalize your card by printing a nice photo on it.
Request a debit card Request a debit card
- Online payments, anywhere in the world and without contact
- Personalize your debit card with a photo
- Apply for a new debit card online
Is this page useful for you? alert-func-check Yes No